10 February 2021

My favourite HS dictionary

 

This must be the best general and quick-access dictionary for students to G10 and/or C1, including language, literature and lang&lit. Even E1L and C2 students will find it useful. 
I own a number of dictionaries from the 12-volume OED to a pocket Collins, and for a quick, easy and reliable dictionary which works in most situations, LDOCE is the best. This dictionary provides both definitions and usage examples which was revolutionary in its day and has since been emulated by its competitors.

When I was a teacher, I had half a dozen in my HS classroom and as Head of Department, I arranged for half a dozen in each HS English room. Of course, we always taught dictionary skills in Middle School / Lower Secondary so in HS, the dictionary was used more for reference than as a teaching tool.

Please leave any comments or queries below.

No comments:

Post a Comment